N900 driver sd needs updating
At first all seemed well, it downloaded the new firmware image and rebooted the phone into what I believe is known as R&D mode.
After a while though I noticed the progress bar had stopped moving and I became worried. Obviously I wasn’t about to pull the plug out and permanently kill the phone, not without a gun to me head anyway. It must have been 2 hours in the end but finally a message came up on the PC screen telling me the update had failed.
I’ll also try to offer a little advice about flashing Maemo devices from a Linux desktop, based on my relatively limited but successful experience.
There are already very good guides for this around though, so I don’t want to just duplicate them.
I’m not averse to using the official software to perform an update if needed, but what I am averse to is the fact that this software is only available for Windows.
I’m a full time Linux user as most of you will know and considering the the N900 is a Linux device you’d think they’d have a Linux updater too.
However, when I was prompted about another available update later in the week the process was anything but smooth.
I was wondering how I could explain all this to the company when when sending the device back when I hopped on to talk to people about it.
I closed the program down and looked at the phone, it still seemed to be locked in R&D mode.
An attempt to reboot it manually did nothing and I was starting to believe I’d royally screwed the thing for good.
It’s not that hard to do but it does involve a few steps.
To my huge, HUGE relief this actually worked and my dead N900 came back to life. I’ve never been so happy to hear that annoying Nokia tune in my life.
To my huge relief it identified itself as “Nokia e61 (Firmware Update Mode)” and I was starting to believe I could pull this one out of the fire. The following day my good friend Andy (@oscillik) from Liv LUG kindly offered to upload the latest N900 image and Flasher 3.5 tool (yes it’s really called Flasher, I had a giggle as well).